A lot of new submissions have expanded the endangered building list for Cape Girardeau to twice its number last year. Convention and visitor’s Bureau Director of Sales Alyssa Lage says 21 properties are considered in “danger” of being demolished with some of major historic value. She tells KZIM KSIM they began the list in 2012 to promote awareness that the Cape Girardeau Historic Preservation Commission sees value in these buildings and care what the general public thinks…
Cut # 0065 Time: 26 Out: area
May is historic preservation month. Some of the listings were removed due to owners upgrading or remodeling them. Such as the Old Kage School, the Buckner-Ragsdale Building, and a 3-story structure at 112-114 North main Street. Close to Lage’s heart is the Esquire Broadway Theater and the Fort D Building. Others making the list can be found at our website kzimksim.com
- Marquette School, 2815 S. Sprigg St.
- Juden School, 900 W. Cape Rock Drive
- The Ochs-Shivelbine House at 1409 N. Sprigg St.
- 412 Asher St.
- 142-148 S. Lorimier apartments
- 635 Goodhope
- 127 S. Lorimier
- 230 N. Middle St.
- The Juden School on W. Cape Rock Dr.
- 444 Washington Ave.
- 14 S. Lorimier
- 524 William St. – The property used for training by the Fire Dept.
- 328 Spanish St.
- 261 Goodhope St.
- 213 S. Middle St.
- 513 William St. – recently demolished
- 818 N. Fountain St.