Cape Girardeau firefighters quickly responded to heavy black smoke reported at an apartment building at 211 Bellevue St. on Monday. Firefighters responded to the structure fire at 5:45 pm, disconnected the natural gas line and stopped the smoke. Resident Brittney Hanner said the smoke began pouring out of a vent in her downstairs apartment, filling the bedroom and kitchen before she could get out of the residence. Battalion Chief Fred Vincel said he thinks the fire started because of the furnace. He said there was smoke damage in the apartment but no water damage.