Sunday, just after 9pm, Sikeston DPS responded to a fire at 210 Fuchs to find heavy smoke coming from the home. Sergeant Jon Broom says crews entered the front door to battle the fire which had spread to the attic. He tells KZIM KSIM at this time it appears a space heater was the culprit…
Broom says the living room had heavy fire and smoke damage with the remainder of the residence also sustaining smoke damage. It took around 2 hours to knock down the fire.
Sikeston DPS would like to remind the community to use the following safety tips regarding space heaters during the winter months;
- Make sure your space heater has the label showing that it is listed by a recognized testing laboratory.
- Before using any space heater, read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels carefully.
- Inspect heaters for cracked or broken plugs or loose connections before each use. If frayed, worn or damaged, do not use the heater.
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you’re leaving a room or going to sleep, and don’t let pets or children play too close to a space heater.
- Space heaters are only meant to provide supplemental heat and should never be used to warm bedding, cook food, dry clothing or thaw pipes.
- Install smoke alarms on every floor of your home and outside all sleeping areas and test them once a month.
- Proper placement of space heaters is critical. Heaters must be kept at least three feet away from anything that can burn, including papers, clothing and rugs.
- Locate space heaters out of high traffic areas and doorways where they may pose a tripping hazard.
- Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet. Do not use an extension cord or power strip, which could overheat and result in a fire. Do not plug any other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
- Place space heaters on level, flat surfaces. Never place heaters on cabinets, tables, furniture, or carpet, which can overheat and start a fire.
- Always unplug and safely store the heater when it is not in use.